“Five Minute Friday” is a weekly event that has been described as a writing flash mob. Every week Lisa-Jo Baker announces a new writing prompt and all the participants free-write for — yep, you guessed it — five minutes. No editing. Just real. Free. Raw. Want to know how it all got started? Read the back story. Sound like fun? Come on over and join us!
This week’s prompt is After.
Before. My favorite color was yellow. Golden as the sun. I loved everything yellow: brown-eyed susans, yellow construction paper, yellow crayons, yellow finger paint, yellow jelly beans, just everything yellow.
Before. I was a daddy’s girl. I couldn’t wait for him to get home from work. I sat on the back of the truck eating cabbage and tomatoes from the garden. I helped him feed the pigs, well, sort of.
Before. He threw me up in the air and I squealed and laughed. He never let me fall. He tickled me and counted out five birthday spankings. I kicked and laughed and tried to twist free. He loved me and I loved him. Before.
After. After my fifth birthday and before my sixth I didn’t like yellow anymore. My sunshine and fun clouded over and darkness filled my little girl heart.
After. I didn’t want to play. I didn’t want to be held. I was a daddy’s girl and no one else would do. There was no more laughter, no more hugs or kisses, no more birthday spankings. Just cold and dark and pain.
After. We moved away from the farm. After the police knocked on the door to suck the air out of my lungs, fill my ears with the sound of mom crying, the pain we felt. Daddy didn’t feel any pain. He was in heaven. Went straight up to heaven right at the site of the accident.
After. He left me behind.
- Five Minute Friday: After (sudryandspecific.wordpress.com)
- Five Minute Friday: After (divineimperfections.typepad.com)
- Five Minute Friday: AFTER (onepassiononedevotion.wordpress.com)
- Five Minute Friday “After” (whereyagowens.blogspot.com)
- 5 Minute Friday, After Diagnosis. (www.funkyfaithgirl.com)
- Five Minute Friday: After (throughmydarkness.blogspot.com)
- After – A Five Minute Friday (devotedtoquilting.wordpress.com)